This was the centre of the Jewish ghetto in Frankfurt from 1462 until the ghetto was abolished at the end of the 18th century. Many of the houses on the right were demolished at the end of the 19th century and those that remained were destroyed during World War Two. One of these was the ancestral home of the Rothschild family, the building to the left with the white drainpipe running down the facade: the 17th century ‘House of the Red Shield’. The stereoview shows what much of Frankfurt ‘s city centre looked like prior to World War Two. Of the 30,000 Jews who lived in Frankfurt in 1933 only 603 remained in 1945. Those who hadn’t emigrated were sent to concentration camps at Dachau and Burchenwald.