‘The Römer, Frankfurt’
G. J. a Paris
The Römer is Frankfurt’s city hall and has been for the last 600 years. Two buildings were sold to the city by the Römer family in 1405 and other surrounding buildings were purchased in the subsequent centuries creating a vast warren of stairs, rooms, halls and courtyards. By the end of the 19th century the Römer had accquired its distinctive five gables which overlooked the Römerberg, the large square in Frankfurt’s city centre. The five properties are shown in the stereoview above. The original Römer house is the second from left, built in the early 14th century. The two Renaissance houses to the far right, Haus Frauenstein and the Salzhaus, were purchased and added to the complex in the late 19th century. The Römer was almost completely destroyed during World War Two but has been reconstructed to something like its historical form.