Facade of the Tuileries Palace
The Tuileries Palace was the main Paris residence of the French monarchy from Henry IV to Napoleon III. It was built in 1564 by Catherine de Medici and gradually extended in the 17th century. The palace witnessed some of the most significant events in French history. Louis XIV resided there during the construction of Versailles. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were kept as virtual prisoners at the palace and it was here in 1792 that a mob stormed the palace and murdered the king’s Swiss Guard. Napoleon made it the main residence of the First Consul and constructed the north gallery which connected the Tuileries with the Louvre, forming a vast enclosed courtyard between the two buildings. Lavish new staterooms were created in the Second Empire style after 1848 but in 1871 the palace was destroyed when it was attacked by a mob and set on fire. The shell of the Tuileries remained for eleven years until it was finally demolished. The name derived from the tile kilns or ‘tuilieries’ which had previously occupied the site.
For more images of the palace click on ‘Tuileries’ in the tag cloud to the right.