The first staircase on the site was built by the architect Louis le Vau for Louis XIV in the 1660s. Le Vau’s design was replaced in the early 19th century with a neo-Classical staircase by Percier and Fontaine. It was decorated with Corinthian columns and gilt bronze candelabra. The stereograph shows the view down the staircase from the first floor to the ground floor. The main sequence of state rooms could be accessed from the first floor. This staircase was one of the parts of the palace that survived the Paris Commune in 1871.
For more on the Tuileries Palace click on ‘Tuileries’ in the tag cloud to the right.