Neue Photographische Gesellschaft
This stereograph shows the view across the Old Market in Dresden with the Rathaus (Town Hall) in the background. It’s the large building with the cupola. This was in fact the Old Town Hall as by 1910 a new one had been built elsewhere in the city centre. The Old Town Hall dated from 1740s and was designed by the Dresden architect Johann Christoph Knöffel. It was lost during a series of air-raids that took place between 13-15 February 1945. The resulting firestorm killed around 25,000 people and destroyed 39 square kilometres of the city, including almost everything in the Baroque city centre. Like most other buildings in the Old Market, the rathaus wasn’t reconstructed in the post-war period.