‘Picture Gallery, Royal Palace, Berlin, Germany’
Keystone View Company
The picture gallery was built c.1713 by Schlüter’s successor as architect, Johann Friedrich Eosander. It was 60m long, had yet another richly-painted ceiling and was formerly hung with enormous canvases showing Prussian military victories. Unfortunately many of the paintings were destroyed during World War Two. Perhaps the gallery’s most spectacular feature was a sculptural group at one end (not shown in the stereoview) which depicted some of the figures losing their balance and tumbling out of the composition. The picture gallery was gutted by fire in 1945 and the remains were demolished in 1950.