The medieval cathedral Arras, believed to have been one of the most beautiful in France, was completely demolished after the French Revolution. By the 1830s it was decided that Arras once again needed a cathedral and so the old church belonging to St. Vaast’s Abbey was used. The abbey church had itself been rebuilt starting in 1778, although progress was interrupted during the Revolution. Work on the site began again in 1815 and in 1833 the church, now designated a cathedral, was completed. The building was severely damaged by artillery fire in 1914 which destroyed most of the roof, the vaults and part of the exterior. Following the end of hostilities the cathedral was reconstructed to its pre-war appearance.