‘Cambrai – The Cathedral’
The medieval cathedral at Cambrai in Northern France was regarded as one of the ‘wonders of the Low Countries’. It was sold off after the French Revolution and used as a quarry. Arras Cathedral suffered a similar fate as did the monumental cathedral in French-speaking Liege. No trace of Cambrai’s Gothic cathedral survives today. The city’s ecclesiastical status was restored in 1802 and the abbey church of St. Sulpice was used as the seat of the bishop (later the archbishop). The building was constructed between 1696 and 1703. It was damaged by fire in 1854 but subsequently restored. The cathedral was damaged yet again during World War One, as shown in the stereograph, but was restored for a second time.