‘The Bank of England from Mansion House’
B. W. Kilburn
The Bank of England, shown to the left, was the work Sir John Soane and constructed on an immense scale over a period of fifty years starting in 1790. Unfortunately it was almost completely demolished in the 1920s. The Neo-Classical building to the right is the Royal Exchange. Thomas Gresham’s mid 16th century building on the same site was destroyed during the Great Fire in 1666. Its replacement was also destroyed by fire in 1838. The third, and current, building on the site was constructed to the design of William Tite in 1844. It’s now used as a shopping centre. The statue just visible in front of the Royal Exchange is of the Duke of Wellington. It was cast in 1844 from cannon that had been seized during various conflicts.