‘Tintern Abbey – looking S.W. from the N.E – corner of Chancel’
Founded in the 1130s, Tintern Abbey lies in the beautiful Wye Valley, Monmouthshire. The Cistercian abbey buildings were dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536. The monks were evicted, the lead was stripped from the roof and the building became a ruin. Wordsworth visited in 1793 and later wrote one of his most famous poems inspired by the bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang.
‘Montrichard (Loir-et-Cher) Old Houses’
These lovely old houses from the 17th century still exist today in the small town of Montrichard in the department of Loir-et-Cher, France. Alas, the poor old horse is probably long gone.
The Fountain of the Virtues, or Tugendbrunnen, is a Renaissance water fountain located in Nuremberg’s city centre. Divided into three tiers and cast from bronze, the fountain was created in the 1580s by Benedict Wurzelbauer. The three theological virtues and three cardinal virtues are depicted as six allegorical figures. The three seen in the stereograph are Faith (holding a cross), Love (surrounded by children) and Hope (accompanied by an anchor). Above the six figures are water-spouting cherubs holding the city’s coat of arms and at the top of the fountain is a statue of Justice. Although the surrounding buildings were all destroyed, fortunately the fountain survived World War Two and can still be seen in Nuremberg today.
The rococo Amalienborg Palace is the winter residence of the Danish royal family. Located in Copenhagen it was originally constructed between 1750 and 1760 as four separate palaces, each one the residence of Danish noblemen, the buildings facing each other across an octagonal courtyard like an early sort of housing estate. The four palaces were Moltke’s Palace, Levetzau’s Palace, Brockdorff’s Palace and Schak’s Palace. Although they look identical the palace’s all had different interiors, with Moltke’s Palace being the most lavish. The Danish King Christian VII moved his family into the Moltke and Schak Palaces following a devastating fire at Christiansborg Palace in 1794. The royal family acquired the remaining two mansions and the entire complex assumed the status of a royal palace. The stereograph shows just one part of one quarter of the original four-palace scheme. Many of the original interiors remain and the palace buildings are open to the public for guided tours.
Known as the Fischerviertel or Fishermen’s Quarter this was, not surprisingly, the part of Ulm where the tanners and fishermen lived. It lies close to the river Danube and, being on the edge of the city centre, escaped destruction in 1944. It has hardly changed at all from when the stereograph was taken in the 1930s. The timber-framed houses, many of which date back to the Middle Ages, give a good impression of how much of Ulm looked prior to the onset of World War Two.
The Gänsemännchenbrunnen, or Goose Man fountain, was created around 1550 and is one of Nuremberg’s oldest fountains. It features a bronze figure of a farmer holding a goose under each arm, the water coming out of their beaks. Before 1945 the fountain was located in the goose market but it’s now in a courtyard behind the town hall.