Rue aux Fèvres, Lisieux, c.1880

‘The Old House of the Salamander, Rue aux Fèvres, Lisieux’

ND Phot

c.1880

lisieux maison salamandre

Located in the department of Calvados close to the north coast of France, Lisieux was one of the best-preserved medieval towns in France. It had been a centre of power during the Middle Ages, a fact which was reflected in its civil and religious architecture. The Rue aux Fèvres, or Bean Alley, was typical of much of the town prior to World War Two. One building on the street, the House of the Salamander, was one of France’s finest timber-framed properties. The House of the Salamander is the second one along on the left in the stereoview. It was built in the first half of the 16th century and its facade was covered in carved Renaissance details: vines, scrolls, human figures and animals. The Rue aux Fèvres had changed little since the 16th century. Unfortunately the Rue aux Fèvres and the House of the Salamander, along with most of Lisieux’s other timber-framed houses, was destroyed in 1944 as part of the D-Day invasion. Lisieux was liberated by Allied troops two weeks later.