‘Mont St. Michel’
Ernest le Deley
This stereograph shows a street at Mont St. Michael c.1910 with many of the houses in their unrestored state. The building spanning the street is known as the House of the Artichoke, a late 15th or early 16th century addition to an adjoining property. Both the west and east facades are covered in chestnut tiles giving the appearance of the leaves of an artichoke. There is also a sculpted artichoke on top of the turret finial. The wall to the left is part of the island town’s medieval fortifications. Apart from much restoration the scene remains little changed today.