The Fountain of the Virtues, or Tugendbrunnen, is a Renaissance water fountain located in Nuremberg’s city centre. Divided into three tiers and cast from bronze, the fountain was created in the 1580s by Benedict Wurzelbauer. The three theological virtues and three cardinal virtues are depicted as six allegorical figures. The three seen in the stereograph are Faith (holding a cross), Love (surrounded by children) and Hope (accompanied by an anchor). Above the six figures are water-spouting cherubs holding the city’s coat of arms and at the top of the fountain is a statue of Justice. Although the surrounding buildings were all destroyed, fortunately the fountain survived World War Two and can still be seen in Nuremberg today.
The Kaiserstallung (Emperor’s Stables) was located next to Nuremberg’s medieval castle. Despite the name, the Kaiserstallung was built between 1494 and 1495 to serve as a gigantic granary. Part of it was also used to stable the emperor’s horses during imperial visits to the castle, which is how the building acquired its title. One distinctive feature was the five storey attic with windows at each level. The tower at the far end, with little turrets at each corner, was built in 1377 as part of the castle’s defences. The Kaiserstallung was converted into a youth hostel in 1938 but was almost completely destroyed during an air-raid in 1945. The exterior was reconstucted to its pre-war appearance and today the Kaiserstallung is once again used as a youth hostel.
This early stereoview from c.1865 shows the view south across Nuremberg. The Church of St. Sebaldus is in the foreground. Its great barn-like chancel was added between 1358 and 1379. At the end of the the chancel can be seen a long, Renaissance building, part of Nuremberg’s town hall added by Jakob Wolff in the early 17th century. In the distance are the towers of St. Lorenz’s Church. Everything shown was almost entirely destroyed in 1945 but at least the town hall and churches have since been reconstructed.
A great early view over the medieval rooftops of pre-war Nuremberg looking north towards the castle on the horizon. The city was one of the architectural and cultural wonders of Europe, almost entirely unchanged since the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. The 15th century twin towers of St Sebaldus Church are on the right. Around 90% of the city centre was destroyed during a major air-raid in January 1945. Although the city’s churches and the castle were reconstructed after the war the vast majority of Nuremberg’s medieval houses disappeared forever.
‘The Market and Frauenkirche Square, Nuremberg, Germany’
Keystone View Company
The Neptune fountain seen to the left is in fact a copy. The original was made in Nuremberg in 1668. It was the largest Baroque fountain north of the Alps. The fountain was sold to Tsar Paul I in 1799 and shipped off to St. Petersburg. By the end of the 19th century the people of Nuremberg decided that they wanted it back but Tsar Alexander III refused to sell. A cast of the original was taken and the replica fountain was placed in the marketplace in the centre of Nuremberg. During the Third Reich the fountain was seen both as an impediment to Nazi rallies in the square and a stain on the ‘pure’ Gothic architecture of the city centre. Upon Hitler’s orders it was moved outside the city centre. In a bizarre twist of fate, the original was looted by the Wehrmacht from St. Petersburg, brought back to Nuremberg and stashed away in an underground vault. After the war the original fountain was returned to the USSR. The copy can be seen today in Nuremberg city park. The market place was completely destroyed during an air-raid in 1945.
The image shows the Toplerhaus which stood on Panierplatz in the Castle District of Nuremberg. One of the castle’s towers can be seen in the background. The Toplerhaus, a magnificent Renaissance mansion, was built between 1590 and 1591 by Jacob Wolff, a German architect and sculptor. The area was severely damaged during an air-raid on 2nd January 1945 and the Toplerhaus was destroyed.
The Gänsemännchenbrunnen, or Goose Man fountain, was created around 1550 and is one of Nuremberg’s oldest fountains. It features a bronze figure of a farmer holding a goose under each arm, the water coming out of their beaks. Before 1945 the fountain was located in the goose market but it’s now in a courtyard behind the town hall.