Eschenheimer Tower, Frankfurt, c.1890

‘Eschenheimer Turm, Frankfurt’

G. J. a Paris

c.1890

Frankfurt turm

The Eschenheimer Tower is the last surviving gateway from Frankfurt’s medieval fortifications. The 47m tower was constructed in the early 15th century. As can be seen in the stereograph, the street used to run directly under the tower but now it goes around the side. The area was largely destroyed during World War Two but the tower survived and is now the oldest and least-altered medieval structure in Frankfurt’s old city centre. The people and cart in the distance must’ve moved during the photographic exposure as they shuttle from one side of the street to the other.

Advertisements

Frankfurt across the Main, c.1905

‘Frankfurt am Main – View towards the city from Sachsenhausen’

Neue Photographische Gesellschaft

c.1905

frankfurt river view

The stereograph shows the view across the River Main towards Frankfurt’s city centre. The tall tower on the right belonged to St. Bartholomew’s Cathedral. I’m not sure what they’re up to in the foreground.

The Last King of Prussia, 1894

‘Their Majesties, the Emperor and Empress of Germany, with the Crown Prince’

Underwood & Underwood

1894

kaiser

The stereograph shows, standing on the left, Kaiser Wilhelm II, the last Emperor of Germany and the last King of Prussia. He was also the first grandchild of Queen Victoria and of course the leader who lead Germany into the pointless war that caused the deaths of millions of people on both sides of the conflict. Standing next to him is his son and heir, also called Wilhelm. Presumably the Empress is the one sat at the table. Wilhelm II abdicated in 1918 after Germany’s defeat and went into exile in the Netherlands. He died in 1941.

‘The Great Bridge over the Rhine at Bonn, Germany’, c.1900

‘The Great Bridge over the Rhine at Bonn, Germany’

Keystone View Company

c.1900

bonn bridge over rhine

The bridge shown in the stereograph was the Old Rhine Bridge completed in 1898. At the time of its construction it was the longest through-arch bridge in the world. The bridge was destroyed on 8 March 1945 by the Wehrmacht in a futile attempt to stop the American advance on Bonn. The bridge’s replacement was finished in 1949 and renamed Kennedy Bridge following the assassination of the U. S. President in 1963.

‘The White Room’, Berlin City Palace, c.1935

Raumbild-Verlag

c.1935

berlin schloss white hall

The White Room, or Weißen Saal, was redesigned three times. Used as a ballroom, its final appearance wasn’t attained until the end of the 19th century. White marble was installed on the walls and the ceiling was painted. The White Room was one of the interiors that survived World War Two intact but it was demolished along with the damaged parts of the palace in 1950. In 1921 a British diplomat claimed that the Berlin Stadtschoss had “the finest interior in Europe”, only a small part of which was recorded in stereographs.

‘Picture Gallery’, Berlin City Palace, c.1890

‘Picture Gallery, Royal Palace, Berlin, Germany’

Keystone View Company

c.1890

bildergalerie stadtschloss berlin

The picture gallery was built c.1713 by Schlüter’s successor as architect, Johann Friedrich Eosander. It was 60m long, had yet another richly-painted ceiling and was formerly hung with enormous canvases showing Prussian military victories. Unfortunately many of the paintings were destroyed during World War Two. Perhaps the gallery’s most spectacular feature was a sculptural group at one end (not shown in the stereoview) which depicted some of the figures losing their balance and tumbling out of the composition. The picture gallery was gutted by fire in 1945 and the remains were demolished in 1950.