‘Montrichard (Loir-et-Cher) Old Houses’
These lovely old houses from the 17th century still exist today in the small town of Montrichard in the department of Loir-et-Cher, France. Alas, the poor old horse is probably long gone.
The Fountain of the Virtues, or Tugendbrunnen, is a Renaissance water fountain located in Nuremberg’s city centre. Divided into three tiers and cast from bronze, the fountain was created in the 1580s by Benedict Wurzelbauer. The three theological virtues and three cardinal virtues are depicted as six allegorical figures. The three seen in the stereograph are Faith (holding a cross), Love (surrounded by children) and Hope (accompanied by an anchor). Above the six figures are water-spouting cherubs holding the city’s coat of arms and at the top of the fountain is a statue of Justice. Although the surrounding buildings were all destroyed, fortunately the fountain survived World War Two and can still be seen in Nuremberg today.
Neue Photographische Gesellschaft
The stereoview shows the east side of Ulm’s town hall. Construction began in the middle of the 14th century and various additions and alterations were made until it reached its final form in the 1540s. This is when the exterior was covered in frescoes by Martin Schaffner, a colleague of Hans Holbein the Elder. Five elaborate Gothic windows were added in the 1420s, two of which can be seen in the east wall. Known as the Emperor Window this window was once surrounded with carved figures of Charlemagne and two kings of Hungary and Bohemia. The statues currently on display are copies and the originals are in Ulm’s museum. One of the last Renaissance additions was an astronomical clock, added to the east wall in 1580. The building was thoroughly restored between 1898 and 1905 and the frescoes were renewed. In the background can be seen the spire of Ulm Minster. At nearly 162m it is the tallest church in the world. Fortunately the minster survived World War Two relatively unscathed but around 81% of the medieval city centre was destroyed and the town hall was severely damaged. The town hall at least has since been reconstructed to its pre-war appearance.
‘Augsburg – Ancient Homes of the Patricians’
This stereoview shows the view up Karolinenstraße in Augsburg. Until World War Two the street was lined with the Renassiance and Baroque houses of former patricians and merchants. The Renaissance town hall and Pelachturm, a 70m watchtower, can be seen to the left. Karolinenstraße was almost completely destroyed during World War Two. The tower and town hall have been reconstructed to their pre-war appearance but the street has retained little of its former historical character.
This was the centre of the Jewish ghetto in Frankfurt from 1462 until the ghetto was abolished at the end of the 18th century. Many of the houses on the right were demolished at the end of the 19th century and those that remained were destroyed during World War Two. One of these was the ancestral home of the Rothschild family, the building to the left with the white drainpipe running down the facade: the 17th century ‘House of the Red Shield’. The stereoview shows what much of Frankfurt ‘s city centre looked like prior to World War Two. Of the 30,000 Jews who lived in Frankfurt in 1933 only 603 remained in 1945. Those who hadn’t emigrated were sent to concentration camps at Dachau and Burchenwald.
The timber-framed Salzhaus (Salt House) was one of the finest late Gothic domestic buildings in Europe. It stood in the centre of Frankfurt and dated back to the early 14th century. The Salt House was originally used as a meeting place for merchants who traded in salt but the property was almost completely rebuilt c.1595 by Christoph Andreas Koler, an exceptionally wealthy wine merchant. The front facade was covered in elaborately carved relief panels depicting figures, vines and scrolls. The side wall was decorated with frescos of Biblical and mythological scences. The Salt House was restored at the end of the 19th century but was subsequently destroyed during an air-raid on 22 March 1944 and only the stone ground floor survived. The carved panels from the facade were removed in 1943. The house to the left of the Salt House was the Haus Frauenstein, built at the end of the 15th century. It too was lost in 1944 along with around 2000 other late Gothic and Renaissance houses in Frankurt’s city centre.
The image shows the Toplerhaus which stood on Panierplatz in the Castle District of Nuremberg. One of the castle’s towers can be seen in the background. The Toplerhaus, a magnificent Renaissance mansion, was built between 1590 and 1591 by Jacob Wolff, a German architect and sculptor. The area was severely damaged during an air-raid on 2nd January 1945 and the Toplerhaus was destroyed.