Known as the Fischerviertel or Fishermen’s Quarter this was, not surprisingly, the part of Ulm where the tanners and fishermen lived. It lies close to the river Danube and, being on the edge of the city centre, escaped destruction in 1944. It has hardly changed at all from when the stereograph was taken in the 1930s. The timber-framed houses, many of which date back to the Middle Ages, give a good impression of how much of Ulm looked prior to the onset of World War Two.
Neue Photographische Gesellschaft
The stereoview shows the east side of Ulm’s town hall. Construction began in the middle of the 14th century and various additions and alterations were made until it reached its final form in the 1540s. This is when the exterior was covered in frescoes by Martin Schaffner, a colleague of Hans Holbein the Elder. Five elaborate Gothic windows were added in the 1420s, two of which can be seen in the east wall. Known as the Emperor Window this window was once surrounded with carved figures of Charlemagne and two kings of Hungary and Bohemia. The statues currently on display are copies and the originals are in Ulm’s museum. One of the last Renaissance additions was an astronomical clock, added to the east wall in 1580. The building was thoroughly restored between 1898 and 1905 and the frescoes were renewed. In the background can be seen the spire of Ulm Minster. At nearly 162m it is the tallest church in the world. Fortunately the minster survived World War Two relatively unscathed but around 81% of the medieval city centre was destroyed and the town hall was severely damaged. The town hall at least has since been reconstructed to its pre-war appearance.